This granola is a great alternative to your shop bought supermarket cereals. The baked oats with date syrup and sultanas makes it perfectly sweet and moreish, giving a chewy consistency. The date syrup is a great alternative to your normal sugar options due to the fact it has all the micronutrient components of your normal dates. This includes iron, magnesium, zinc and other essential vitamins and minerals. Obviously they are high in sugars, including fructose, so not overconsuming these kind of syrups or sugar alternatives is just as important as limiting free sugars in your diet.
You will need:
1. two cups gluten free oats (or normal oats if not celiac, gluten intolerance)
2. 100g sultanas
3. two tbsp. raw cacao powder
4. 100g mixed omega 3 seeds ( I use a mixture of sunflower,
5. two tbsp. coconut oil
6. 4 tbsp. date syrup
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. This includes the cacao powder, oats, sultanas and mixed seeds.
2. Then add the date syrup and mix until combined with ingredients.
3. Heat the coconut oil on the hob until melted.
4. Stir the coconut oil throughout ingredients.
5. Stir until all mixed together then place on a baking tray lined baking paper.
6. Cook on 160 degrees/gas mark 4 for 25-30 minutes.
7. Check half way and mix with wooden spoon if necessary.
8. Check to ensure golden and then remove from oven.
Leave to cool and place in large storage container to keep.